Area Travel News
I thought I would do a PSA (Public Service Announcement) this time around. Below are some travel updates from the Haywood County TDA. I hope this helps a bit with your travel plans. We will see you in the mountains!
Frankies Italian Trattoria in Maggie Valley Closed June 14 – 26.
Chimney Rock State Park Reopened.
Check this website https://www.ncparks.gov/chimney-rock-state-park for park updates. The Hickory Nut Falls Trail remains closed. The Park’s elevator is still under construction and out of service. Visitors will have to park in the Meadows and take a shuttle or hike the Four Seasons trail to the top of the Park.
Paving project to begin on the Blue Ridge Parkway that will affect Haywood County.
- Check the Parkway’s Real Time Road Map for regularly updated work zone information.
- Expect delays while work takes place Monday through Friday. Lane closures will be managed with flagging operations and a pilot car to lead traffic through work zones.
- Observe reduced speed limits in work zones, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; to allow for proper curing of pavement.
- Anticipate loose gravel on the road surface during the cure time for the pavement.
- Bicyclists and motorcyclists are asked to exercise extreme caution as loose gravel on top of the paved surface, during the required curing time, could result in loss of control.
- When circumstances prevent bicyclists from keeping up with traffic, dismount and move off of the road to let the oncoming traffic pass when traveling through a single lane closure.
Great Smoky Mountain National Park: Temporary Closures and Construction Projects
Follow road status at https://twitter.com/smokiesroadsnps or subscribe to receive text message updates by texting “follow smokiesroadsnps” to 40404.
- Clingmans Dome Tower reopens June 15
- Newfound Gap Road, Laurel Creek Road, Townsend Entrance Road, Tremont Road – Single lane closures and traffic delays for paving project weekdays March 12-June 16, 2018 and again August 16-September 20, 2018.
- Foothills Parkway (unfinished section) – the entire unfinished section between Walland and Wears Valley is now closed to all public use until 2018 due to construction.
Cave and Mine Shaft Closure
- Entry into all caves and mine shafts is prohibited due to concerns about the spread of white nose syndrome among bats.