Waynesville NC Real Estate and Homes for Sale in Waynesville NC
Waynesville is the seat of Haywood County. It encompasses 7.8 square miles and lies between the beautiful Great Smoky and Blue Ridge mountains. The town was founded in 1809 by Colonel Robert Love, a soldier in the Revolutionary War. Love named the town after his commander, General “Mad” Anthony Wayne. The town was incorporated in 1871, and is now home to nearly 10,000 permanent residents.
Locals are grateful for the quality of life in Waynesville, which has unparalleled recreational opportunities, a top-notch educational system, and a unique cultural environment combined with a pleasant climate.
At a Glance
- Waynesville’s rapid development began in 1884, when the town was connected to the railway system. Easier access meant that the town’s lumber, tourism, and agricultural industries began to thrive.
- The neighborhoods within Waynesville are Frog Level, Hazelwood, Laurel Ridge, West Waynesville, Russ Avenue, and Downtown.
- Hazelwood Elementary, Junaluska Elementary, Central Elementary School, Waynesville Middle School, and Tuscola High School are found within Waynesville.
- The Waynesville Art Walk is one of the community’s most popular events, where the work of the town’s talented artists and performers are displayed.
- The parks in Waynesville are ideal for walking, jogging, biking, kite-flying, picnics, and more. Visit Vance Street Park, Hazelwood Park, Sulphur Springs Park, or East Street Park to enjoy the town’s pleasant climate and gorgeous surroundings.
Waynesville makes it easy to welcome new residents. There’s a sizable inventory of fantastic homes, from comfortable two or three-bedroom bungalows, well-built contemporary houses, beautiful ranch-style homes, and expansive Tudors with panoramic views of the mountains and its deep valleys. There’s also plenty of vacant land available for those planning on building their dream home.